Saturday, March 5, 2011

You Can See the Forest Through the Trees

I decided that I like trees. Specifically eucalyptus trees. Maybe it is because koalas make their homes in these giant trees. Or maybe it is because you can actually see the forest through the trees. The woods around Australia are filled with eucalyt trees, although the koala is particular and will only eat the leaves and bark from 12 of the 600 species. They are big trees where the sun can shine through because they are not thick like other trees. They make great backdrops for sunsets and sunrises. And whatever. I like them. They are cool.

So, I’m sitting at a desk at the Four Seasons as I write this looking at the Opera House. And I feel that I can finally see the forest through the trees as I prepare to return home. As much as I want to be home, I can’t help but feel a little melancholy because I truly love Australia. The country is very diverse, beautiful, and filled with lots of opportunities to enjoy both the city and the countryside. I was up early this morning, going to Gloria Jeans located in the Wynard train station for my usual brekkie of a large, skinny Voltage and a low fat (ha ha) apple cinnamon muffin. Then I was off to buy some last minute Aussie items requested by those at home (Tim Tams, kangaroo jerky, boom-a-rangs, etc.). I hit the gift shops I know and love (those with authentic Australian made goodies, not the kind made in China). As always there is a dilemma. Do I need a pair of black Ugg boots? I mean I do have brown but brown doesn’t go with everything. And I do have the gift card for $75 that I keep forgetting to spend. It’s not like I can use it back home. And I’m not coming back. Yes, I do indeed need Ugg boots in black. Sold! After my second trip back to the hotel, I was back out and ready to walk the Harbour Bridge. It was a cloudy day, very deceptive as you sit in an air conditioned hotel room. You look out thinking it’s going to be cool but it is actually hot. Very hot. And sticky. Not to be deterred, I knew I wanted to visit The Rocks and Circular Quay since it would be awhile before I was back.

So goes my last day in Australia. At least I thought it was my last day for the foreseeable future but found out that I will be returning in April. Four weeks from now. Righty-o! All this time, I was convinced that something somewhere would go array and force me to stay. (It almost did happen but I was able to figure things out quickly and I am returning home as previously scheduled. Whew!) After a particularly tremulous week, I wanted... needed... a break. At home. So as sad as it was to leave this place, I was thrilled at the thought of sleeping in my bed (one develops a deep appreciation for ‘home’ after living abroad in a serviced apartment full of things that don’t truly belong to you). Don’t get me wrong – mine was new and very nice. The bed was comfortable and having weekly maid service was something I could get use to but it is not yours. You will always want something – pants, shirt, shoes, dish, book, pillow – something that you left behind. Then there is dealing with different plugs (always have to have an adaptor), different foods, toiletries, laundry soap, television channels, expensive internet connections; things that you don’t think about when you leave your comfort zone and venture into the unknown. 


But even knowing that I’ll be back, I’m happy to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it shines brightly in the US. I have little doubt that I’ll be ready to head back in a month (not the flying part as there really isn’t anything fun about a 15 hour flight). If not for the city life I enjoy, but for the warmer weather.

AND BONUS FOR YOU... MORE AUSTRALIA BLOGS TO ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment