Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Six Minutes

Today I experienced the longest 6 minutes of my life is waiting for a train. I'm a timely person. I allow for the unexpected. With this in mind, I leave 55 minutes before a scheduled meeting with a colleague. I get to the train station and see there are two options. One leaves in 6 minutes goes straight to Flinders Station, closer to my destination. The other is the City Loop train which leaves in 8 minutes that goes through Southern Cross, a station that is further away from my destination. So I opt for the 6 minute wait (I used up 10 minutes walking to the station so better safe than sorry). I pick a good waiting spot - this is important particularly when it is crowded (which it wasn't but still) - and look at the sign one more time. Still 6 minutes. Okay, no worries. A few minutes later I notice something strange as I gaze across 6 platforms. First, the City Loop train comes and goes. No worries, my train is sure to be here straightway afterall the signs are usually 'more or less' so I wasn't concerned. Then I notice a train going to Frankston that was scheduled 12 minutes after my arrival comes and goes. Huh. I look at my sign again. Still says 6 minutes. Next a train that was 15 minutes out and then 18 minutes out... So now I'm suspicious. Wait a dog gone minute! Why does my train still say 6 minutes? MURPHY, WHAT ARE YOU UP TO? I look at the time. 10:57 and I realize the Flinder Express train arrival was 10:11 6 minutes. That's not good. I look over and see there is another City Loop train coming. In 2 minutes. The race is on - I have to go up the ramp, go across the bridge and down the other ramp. I, along with a few others who decided they couldn't afford to wait 6 minutes, make it onboard. (At least I'm smart enough now to wear walking shoes and put my dress shoes in my backpack.) I look over as we pull away and there are still several people who were standing there when I first go to the station 20 odd minutes ago. I'm guessing that they experienced an even longer 6 minutes. 


Once you get on a train, the rest is fairly predictable. This is a good thing. You get on, you sit down, you arrive at your destination. You get off. There are a wide variety of passengers from all walks of life. You have your business people in their suits, loafers with their bulky briefcases or backpacks. They usually have a look of resignation - it's going to be another long day at the office. You have your group of young adults with their skinny jeans, hoodies pulled up over their head with cell phone in hand and music blaring through their headphones. You wonder if they should be in school. The students are easy to pick put. They all wear uniforms.They also have their cell phones and music but actually make eye contact and even smile occasionally. It is not uncommon to find a bicyclst riding the train with their bike or a mother with her pram. These individuals can make it challenging to board if you happen to pick the wrong spot to board (you don't have a lot of time to change your mind and go to another car, hence the art of picking the right spot to wait). The young and the old, they shuffle on and off at each station in an orderly fashion. There is no pushing or shoving like other countries. It is truly a civilized process and my preferred method of travel within the city. If only they would extend the train out to the airport. Then I could avoid the $80 cab ride to the airport with some man from the Middle East who will invaribly ask me for directions. Like I sound like I would know where I'm going! I kid you not - there has been two times that I wasn't asked for directions. The first time was the week I arrived. The bellhop hails the cab, I get in and give him the address: 500 Bourke Street. He turns around and asks me for directions. Never mind that Bourke is one of the main streets within the Central Business District. Then he asked me how to spell it as he typed it into his GPS. You would think knowing the main streets would be part of the job training. Apparently this is not the case. It would be helpful if they at least spoke English. This would be why I prefer the trains. No translator needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment