Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Warning: Do Not Use Blow Dryer While Immersed in Water

Don’t we all laugh at stupid warning labels? Warning: this sleeping pill can cause drowsiness. Do not operate heavy machinery. Like what idiot would do that? Well…

First of all, I’m fine. Really. Fine. I guess you should consider a sink with water in it to be a hazard if you are blowing drying your hair and you drop said dryer … and well, I’m fine. Really. Last time I felt a shock like that tinsel was involved. Obviously that was a long time ago because who uses tinsel anymore? If they did they should have the warning “don’t plug in lights with tinsel in the middle as it will give you a pretty good jolt, dumb ass.”

So that’s how I started my day. It was bound to get better. It did not.

Just when I thought I had mastered the public transportation system, I found out that I really only figured out to get from point A to point B – not from point A to point E through C and D in the rain. See, the trains aren’t your normal trains. There is no Blue line, Green Line or Red Line. There is only one two colours in this Metro system: Yellow (zone 1) and Blue (zone 2). All I know is stay in the Yellow, do not – I repeat – do not cross into the Blue zone. Again. I’m fine. Really. Every train goes through the city loop (which is misleading and ultimately led me to believe that I had, in fact, mastered the satanic PTS or the “plan on being tardy system” as I have now renamed it). You have to be able to determine exactly which station on the city loop that will take you to your next train AND make sure that it is travelling in the RIGHT direction. Tricky! I finally arrived at Bill Lang’s Office (the group that introduced Miller Heiman to our client) soaked to the skin but feeling a small sense of victory because I did. Arrive, that is.

The idea that I would get out of my small studio apartment and be amongst the people seemed appealing. Flashback – working in an office does not necessarily mean you will get to work. Oh yeah! I forgot what it was like to work in an office. There are 4 people who work at Bill Lang’s Office: Brendan, Noel, Martina, and of course, Bill. After settling in at a desk in a rather smallish one room office, I looked out the window with the satisfaction that I would get a lot accomplished. Nope, didn’t happen. I did however answer a lot of questions so obviously I helped others but alas, did not get anything done that I needed to do.

At 2:45 I get a message: can I chair a call at 4:30. Quandary, do I stay at Bill Lang’s office and risk getting lost in the dark and disappear in the throes of the evening rush? Nah, I have had enough adventures for one day so I decided to head back to my place. At least it stopped raining. The walk back to Victoria Park station seemed shorter. The sun came out. Things were looking up. And then it happened. I hear several footsteps behind me and incoherent yelling. As I turn, a large black man ran into me. Full force. Yep, landed on my butt. In a puddle. Then he proceeded to step on me. Once. Twice. Ouch. The good news is was under arrest by the time I was able to get up. The not so good news is I am bruised and feel like I got hit by a Mac truck.

You cannot imagine how happy I was to get back with 9 minutes to spare as I walked in the door. I managed to change quickly into dry clothes, turn on my laptop and plug in my Australia mobile phone (which was almost dead). 4:30 exactly and I am chairing the call. Dave joins. Glad he got my message. So we wait. And wait. And wait. At 4:40 we get an email from the person who wanted the call. She was unable to make it. Sorry. Sorry?!

Sigh. Today was not my best day. But I am fine. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment