Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Last Train to Clarksville

Last Tram Ride (If Only It Would Come)
Or more like the Australian version "The Last Tram to St Kilda"... this is the song going through my mind as I boarded the tram one last time to head for my former home, The Blackman. After spending the majority of the past ten months in Melbourne, I was suddenly struck that I wouldn't be doing this again anytime soon. I wouldn't be heading to my Gloria Jeans to grab my morning Voltage nor would I hop the tram to do my grocery shopping at Wooly's (Woolworths). Wow, I really wasn't prepared for the 'last' time. In fact, I almost jumped in a taxi rather than walk the four blocks to the tram that would take me down St Kilda Road. Strange how you can do something day in and day out without a thought until the last time. I will miss riding the trams of Melbourne. Such an inexpensive and fast way to get about. Definitely less stressful than driving and my use of colourful language has been reduced greatly as a result.


In addition, I had to bid farewell to my mates at Gloria Jeans St Kilda Road. A young Indian couple bought the franchise when I first arrived and only recently was able to bring their daughter from India to join them. When I was home, I would walk the 2 blocks for my morning brekkie and a friendly chat. 


I guess what they say is true, all good things must come to an end. I've enjoyed my time in Melbourne and consider it my second home (after Washington of course). Sad to say, I've never considered Reno home; only a place I've lived. 


Last Sunrise at Melbourne Domestic
So I boarded my last Qantas domestic flight to Sydney. I will also miss the ease of travel within Australia. You need about 30 minutes to check in and go through security. Of course, they haven't had anything bad happen so they only do the bare minimum of security. You remove your laptop, walk through a metal detector and scan your belongs. That's it. No removing shoes, liquids, coats, etc. You don't even have to show identification. Can't even tell you how many times I flew around Australia without any ID (not very wise at any rate but nevertheless I didn't give it a second thought). A quick hour and 5 minutes and you are landing at Sydney Kingsford-Smith, usually the farthest runway but the view is spectacular as you fly over the world famous Bondi (Bon-dye) Beach and the CBD. It is just as painless to get retrieve your bags although the queue for the taxi is typically long. One just has to remember where you are.


There are few things that I won't miss about Australia... like getting body slammed by those who aren't paying attention. I have been to a lot of places but never experienced the lack of courtesy when it comes to having people run into you, smoking, holding the door open, etc. Don't get me wrong, the Aussies are a friendly bunch and are very helpful when needed. Just don't expect a 'please,' 'thank you,' or 'excuse me.' It just ain't going to happen. Alas, the bubble has burst and I do know that even though the Aussie accent rocks, they are human like the rest of us. But it is comforting just the same. Americans aren't quite as ugly as others would have us believe. For all our faults, we are generally have better manners. 



No comments:

Post a Comment