Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pony Up, Boys!

I love hanging out with the boys. I can always count on a lot of laughs and learning something I didn't know previously. It is typically useless information but you never know when it might come in handy. 

So we are at a new restaurant [Pony's] around the corner from the office - Bethany, Martin, Shane, Phillip, John, Tim, and I - and we are having an adult beverage and munching on some entrĂ©es (Aussie version of appetizers) when an older couple walks in. Martin eyes them as they go to their table and states "They are American!" Bethany and I look at him incredulous and asked "how do you know?" His response was typical for a Brit "why because of they way they are dressed!" The elderly couple were dressed, dare I say, a little "loudly." He also insisted he heard them talking and definitely heard the accent of a Yank. After much ribbing, Martin decided he had to prove his point so he marched over to the table, leaned over and started chatting with the alleged tacky Americans. After several minutes, our conversation changed to a new topic whilst Martin was still talking away to his new friends. Martin eventually returned to his seat and announced "Well, I just made an ass of myself!" We all laughed and asked "do tell!" As it turns out the the couple was from Adelaide (South Australia). Bethany told him "wow, I would have kept that to myself." Meaning, no one in the right mind would admit to such a mistake. Then she turned and looked at me and said "except you." Sigh. Unfortunately, she is right. I do tend to tell on myself.

Maybe you had to be there but we found it hysterical that the British guy thought this couple was American because of the way they were dressed. We enjoyed making fun of Martin during the rest of the meal. Tim, Shane and John said they wouldn't expect anything less from a "palm." We haven't figured out exactly what that means yet. [Note to self: find out!]


As luck would have it, it started to drizzle, then pour as we were leaving. I reach in my bag and no umbrella. Shoot! It was a mad dash from awning to awning as we made our way to Military Road to hail a taxi. Tim, ever the gallant gentleman, stood in the rain to flag one down. Bethany and I made our way to the Four Seasons for a pre-dinner cocktail. 


Dinner was at a restaurant called Wild Fire at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. We enjoyed a great view of the Opera House and Circular Quay as we toasted our last evening in Sydney (well, hers anyway). Not surprising, there are things brewing that will certainly have me back down under in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment